#BookReview : Daddykins A Memoir of My Father and I by Kalpana Mohan



Title: Daddykins
Author: Kalpana Mohan
Published by: Bloomsbury India
Published on: 18th September 2018
Binding: Paperback
ISBN: 9789386349538




BLURB
When journalist Kalpana Mohan's elderly father falls ill in Chennai, she is on the next flight over from California and the home she has shared with her husband for three decades. Caring for her sometimes cranky, sometimes playful, and always adored father at his home in Chennai, Mohan sets out to piece together an account of her father's life, from his poverty-stricken childhood in a village in south India, to his arranged marriage, to his first job in the city, all the while coming to terms with his inevitable passing.
Mohan's tender, moving, and sometimes hilarious memoir is an account of a changing India captured in her father's life, from the sheer feat of surviving poverty in I920s India of his birth, to witnessing key moments in the nation's history and changing alongside them. Above all, Daddykins is an intimate and deeply relatable account of our relationships with our parents whatever our age, and the shared experiences of love and grief that unite us all.



COVER PAGE

The cover page of the memoir is very simple and is in white colour with the title in bold letters. It has an old picture of author Kalpana Mohan and his father, Daddykins. The picture is black and white and it makes the cover page look very elegant. I loved the cover page a lot.



REVIEW

I rarely read memoirs, autobiographies but since last few months I don't know why I am reading such books. It feels great when some of these books I read relate with my life. Daddykins by Kalpana Mohan is one such amazing book which relates a lot. It is a very interesting and a heartwarming memoir.

The memoir revolves around the author, Kalpana Mohan and her father. The book took me on a ride of emotions, I laughed, cried, felt contended and what not. It is a very peaceful and a very heartwarming read. The book has some kind of magic that I was not able to put it down. It is humorous at times and very emotional at some points.

There are quite a number of characters in the book. And, a lot of relations emerge in the book but, the relation that author's father share with Vinayagam is amazing and I enjoyed reading those moments in the book a lot. The author and her father's relation also shines out in the memoir. The book not only covers the relation of the author with her father but also a lot of events and instances of her father. There are a lot of events which are shared in the book such as her father's childhood, post partition events, marriage, and various others.

The book is penned down in a very beautifully and is very well written. The language is lucid, subtle and is flowing like a river. Her writing style made me dive into the book. I read a lot of portions of the book not just once rather twice, so I took quite a few days to finish reading it. A very nice and subtle narration made my reading experience wonderful. The author has very nicely captured and written about her father expressing about all his habits, ways, interests, traditions and ideas about politics. I really loved the small instances which the author has written in italics in the beginning of each chapter.

Overall, it is a very heart touching, overwhelming and a refreshing read. It can be easily finished in one sitting.I am glad that I got the chance to read this wonderful memoir. I would highly recommend this book to those who want to read a warm book.

Image result for 5/5 stars


Buy the book here: https://www.amazon.in/Daddykins-Memoir-My-Father-I/dp/9385936514




* I received a copy of the book from the publisher (Bloomsbury India) in exchange of a review. Thank You.


Follow me at :
Twitter: https://twitter.com/taanyaahuja011
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/blisspurple.bookworm/?hl=en
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pg/Blisspurple.bookworm/posts/
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/25658913-taanya-ahuja




Thank You
Happy Reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#CoverReveal: Paradise Towers by Shweta Bachchan- Nanda

#BookReview: Unns The Captivation

#Bookreview: The Six Symbols Of Ink by Meliza Merlinde